The North Country Library System (NCLS) has a position open for a Cataloger with extensive responsibilities in database maintenance. NCLS provides modern services to modern libraries through our four-county cooperative system in Northern New York. The Technical Services department catalogs materials in print and audio-visual formats. The Integrated Library System (ILS) is Polaris Leap and the public catalog/discovery layer is Vega. The TS department currently consists of the TS manager and 2.5 staff.
General Job Description: Under the direction of the Technical Services Manager, our catalogers help maintain a database of library materials while maintaining the integrity of the ILS. This involves copy cataloging and original cataloging of materials of all types and formats for 65 member libraries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create and maintain bibliographic records according to standardized practices and procedures
• Physical activities, such as sorting and binning books for delivery
• Barcode materials
• Create tutorial videos
• Assist with running reports
• Assist with phone calls for Technical Services and assist in phone coverage for the building
• Perform other duties within the department as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Keyboard experience
• Ability to pay close attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills
• Basic understanding of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Function well on a team
• Strong time management skills
Physical Requirements: Extended periods of sitting at a keyboard. Some standing and frequent light lifting (5-20 pounds).
37.5 hours per week
$16.00 per hour / $31,200 annually
For more information about the position, contact Pam Wills at (315) 782-5540 x226.